Thursday, November 09, 2006

Spins & Such, and 3 Planes in One Day.


"Widely regarded as one of the finest Piper Cub pilots in the air today, Roger Lehnert's first was a 1930's vintage Taylor J-2 Cub which he restored. He soloed at age 16 and, like many, his love of flying has its roots in childhood plane-watching. Roger flys a J-3 Cub in his airshow routine, as well as a Pitts Special in International Aerobatic Club competitions. His aerobatic comedy and amazing use of a platform atop a pickup truck as a "Teenie Weenie Airport" are performances worth seeing again and again." (source)

Roger keeps the Cub and the "Teenie Weenie Airport" at my home field. This past Sunday I was lucky enough to go up with him in his cub for a spin. Being that I am currently working on my tail wheel rating, Roger had me fly from the back seat, and put me through a workout of stalls, slow flight, coordinated turns, and the like. I had mentioned to him that I wanted to do some spins, since I had never done one at all. What better guy to do spins with than an airshow pilot in his airshow machine?

We took off and immedietly formed up with a fellow pilot in a Taylorcraft Cub, and flew formation out to the practice area. After our wing man broke off and cleared the area, we got to work. I learned alot from Roger, as we yelled to each other in the cockpit without the usual benefit of headsets and intercom's I've grown used to. The cub really flys like a dream! If your not in a hurry to get to altitude, of course...

While he flew us through the spins, I sat there with a dumb smile on my face watching the ground spin in the windshield, while Roger counted them off as we completed the revolutions..."One!...Two!....Three!" Truly a great experience I wont soon forget...

I got to land the Cub, and it all went pretty well, but I flared to early and we touched down alot harder than I (and I'm sure Roger..) would have liked. I hope I get another shot at that sometime...

Some pictures of Roger's Cub, "Helayne"



Posted by Picasa

After standing on Terra Firma for a few hours to get rid of the spin induced dizziness, I took a Tomahawk up, for just a half hour. We were down to one aircraft in the fleet on Sunday, and while I had a couple of hours booked, I conceded the aircraft to an Instructor who wanted to take his student up for his last flight before being signed off for a check-ride. A worthy cause.

Finally, I flew in the Citabria with my Dad in the late afternoon. We shot some good video together, and had a good time flying low and admiring the fall foliage. Dad greased 3 of the prettiest landings I've ever seen him do in the Citabria, and I managed to get them all on film. You know, for proof. ; )

Flying time for the day, (and towards goal): 1.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home