Friday, November 03, 2006

A Renter's Dilemma

I was enjoying some hangar flying and a couple of beers with a few other pilots last night. We got on to the topic of departure stalls. One pilot, a seasoned veteran and Airshow pilot with thousands of hours and a good name in aviation was commenting on the importance of "knowing your plane" in emergency situations. Basically, he said, it helps to know the airplane well enough so that you can read it's "feel". If you have the "feel" of your aircraft down, one can make better decisions about what you can or can't do with it. (Turn back for the airport? Would she make it? Was that little buffet the edge of the stall envelope?)
I mentioned to him that of the 3 Piper Tomahawks in our rental fleet, I always tried to book the same plane. I find it better looking, cleaner, and in general better shape than those it shares ramp space with. Besides that, I had made up my own mind some time ago that it was important for me to know my airplane. Since no 2 planes are alike, the 3 Tomahawks have very different personalities, and I never got to know them as well as i'd liked while bouncing between cockpits.
During the course of the same conversation, this fellow said I should fly as many different planes as I can. You can learn something from all of them, and It's good for your skills as a pilot to mix it up, try new things, etc. So, on one hand, im getting to know 92L very well because I always book that plane. On the other, I agree there is something to be said about cockpit hopping to keep your skills sharp and your experience broad.
So, what to do?
I have 92L booked this weekend, so it will be old familiar for that ride. However, maybe on Sunday I'll take up one of the other Tommy's and put myself through the motions.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the topic of sticking with one plane, or constantly changing cockpits. Pro's, con's and the like.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Neil,

I found that since my checkride (7/06) I have only jumped in a few different aircraft. It's my preference to fly something I can trust and that I am comfortable with but that's me. As I build time I want to try taildraggers, high performance and gliders.....what a wish list.

I just joined a flying club at KILG. Four pilots to one aircraft .....that means she is available often!....and, it's nice to get familiar with the one aircraft.

Good blog, I've been reading along trying to catch up. Thanks for the link.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

My first CFI recommended the same thing, fly as many aircraft as possible as it helps expand the experience envelope. While I was a renter, I had the chance to do so via renting a 172SP for our first Oshkosh trip. Not much "other airplane flying" since becomming an Arrow co-owner though. But I really do know my airplane though.

A Tommy would be a kick to fly...ah, some day :-)

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home