Thursday, October 19, 2006

A career in Aviation?

I am currently a Quality Analyst for a small financial firm. The basic role of my job is to..to....zzzzzzzzzz....

...huh? what?

Yeah. A career in finance, well, is boring.

I notice that almost everytime I tell someone I'm a pilot, or they discover my love for all things aviation, they always ask me why I dont fly for a living.
I've had one job in the aviation field to date. I worked for a year for a small company who sold a wide range of aircraft/aviation products to companies and military outfits around the world, from emergency oxygen equipment to missile components to light bulbs for the nav lights of a small Piper or Cessna. I enjoyed it a lot. Simply being around aviation related equipment and people made going to work fun. It's like I told a friend at the time: "If I had the exact same job I have now, but with, say, automobile parts instead of airplanes, I wouldn't like it. "

I've been thinking alot about trying to jump back into the aviation work force, and contemplating the various avenues I could take. Here's some thoughts. I'd love to hear any feedback anyone reading this might have who has some experience in the aviation industry...

Pro Pilot

I think most people who love to fly would like to make money at it. It seems like it wouldn't even be work. Of course, reading the blogs of pro pilots and talking to the ones I know personally has allowed me to see that its not all a bed of roses, but hey, what is these days? Obviously I'd have to step up my hours, get my IFR and Commercial, and Multi Engine ratings, and move on up the chain. This is obviously considerable time and money. My other hang up is that I know pilots who: A) cant find work, or B) get paid around $25,000 a year flying for a regional outfit. As much as I find finance a snooze, it has paid me well over the years, and I'd pretty much have to sell everything I own to be able to justify that type of pay cut. I'd love to say my desire to be a pro pilot over rides any desire to make a good paycheck, but it simply wouldn't be true. I've grown accustomed to the money I make, (not alot, by any means, but enough, for now) and am not entirely sure I'd like to take a drastic pay cut. The truth hurts. And makes me feel like a whiney wimp, afraid to pay his dues. I'm sure that would go over well with salty old Captains...
Avionics or A&P
I've looked into this field on many occasions. Especially Avionics. The radios and GPS systems, etc have always fascinated me, and the idea of installing, trouble shooting, or selling them is appealing. Also, with the influx of glass cockpit technology beginning to flood the market, it seems work wont be far away. So whats stopped me? Ironically, flying. And geography.
You see, I have a good deal here as a PPL holder building hours. I have access to 3 airplanes (My Dad's and my rental), a great instructor who is a family friend and a person I trust, and I fly a hell of a lot cheaper than most people due to these advantages. I also love where I live. Every school I ever came across offering certificates in these fields has been somewhere far off, Oklahoma, San Diego, Florida. Recently, however, I have discovered a school in Philadelphia that is offering such courses. This is exciting, and all of a sudden seems like a very viable option for me.
Other
This is the category that includes my previous job. Sales, dispatch, marketing, whatever. Something in the industry. These are few and far between, and my only experience in the field tells me that it can be unstable. (I was laid off after 1 year due to financial distress within the company.)
The only other avenue I strongly considered was ATC. In fact, I was ready to embark on that career. I was wiling to go to Colorado where my training would take place, and ready to sign on the dotted line. However, I was (am) 28, found out that the school had a one year waiting list, and would take at least a year to complete, at which time I would have been too old to become a rookie controller. It was the first time in my life I'd been too old for anything, and it was gutting, as I had truly made my mind up that that's what I wanted to do.

So, these are just some random thoughts on the situation. Again, I'd value any and all feedback. I smell a large life changing decision coming soon...

3 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

Neil, you're absolutely right about the $$$$$.
You'd have to start at the bottom rung, and that could net you as little as $20K per year to start.
My wife and I entertained a High School buddy over Labor Day weekend. He works for a Big Pharmaceutical company, has the same amount of education as I have, and makes just a little over twice what I make as a pilot!
He also hates his job.
What's that worth?

The Avionics side of things is gonna take off, so that might be the way to go. It'd keep you close to the industry, so you could continue to fly whenever possible, and those chances would come more often if you are flexible.

Have you given any thought to On-the-job training? An A&P can take you under his wing, supervise your work, and sign you off to test to become an A&P. Might be a way to get your foot in the door!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

My wise old Aunt once told me to be careful about turning you avocation into your vocation. All things must be considered when making a career move, and sometimes making a living doing something you love can be brutal. You might be better off just loving it...and getting a job to support it. (There are many golfers that never quit their jobs to go on the Tour, but still love the game.)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Go the Avionics route...but do so on the left coast so that I can get that discount :-)

Seriously, good luck with the decision process.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home