Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A little "Catch up"....

I had got a couple of flights in towards my 100 hours before I started this log. So, to recap....

9.8.2006
BFR With Captain Ron/ Touch n' go's

By the time I got back in the cockpit, I was in need of my Biannual Flight Review. Captain Ron, my instructor who had taken me from nervous kid with a stupid grin to full blown Private Pilot was fueling his Cub at the pumps when I arrived at the field. After taking a qucik lap around the patch to test out some work he had been doing on his throttle tension, He and I headed out into the practice are to put me through the motions. It felt good to have Ron back in the right seat. He had'nt been there since I got my PPL, and he always has a great tip or a peice of advice to take with you at the end of the day.
Ron put me through a battery of climbs, turns, steep turns, unusual attitudes under the foggles, engine outs, etc, etc. After about an hour, he had my dial up Modena VOR and fly to it. then we flew the radial off to our home field, and took care of the paper work. Legal, ready, and willing, with a fresh BFR sign off in my log book, I spent the next hour alone doing touch n' go's and getting back my feel for the Tommy. I was very happy with my performance in both the landings and the BFR, but knew I could still improve on landings. I found myself flaring a little high. Making some adjustments to my approach, they got better with every attempt.

Solo time 1.0
Hours towards goal: 1.0

9.12.2006
Local

Not much to say about this one. It was pretty routing, I was losing the light, and did a half hour of T 'n G's. Escaping the patch, eh? All in good time...

Solo .5
Hours towards goal: 1.5


9.18.2006
N57-N47

A recent landing at Pottstown (N47) during an introduction flight aboard a Cirrus SR-22 had me wanting to go back. It was the 1st airport I put on my list as places to fly over this 100 hour adventure. It has that great small airport feel, with a friendly old man sitting behind the counter, an airport pet or two, and a cup that says "Donations" next to the stocked fridge, instead of a cash register. It's funny how paying a dollar for a can of soda in a store annoys me to death, but stuffing $2.00 in the donation jar makes you feel good about it! We only stayed long enough on our trip to fuel up, as N47 is only 20 or so miles from my home field. so, Ion my first trip out of th pattern since getting back in the cockpit, I made a short, uneventful trip over to Pottstown, made a few landings, and got myself a $2.00 soda. I flew the same VOR approach back into my home field to wrap up a good day.

Solo 1.2
Hours towards goal 2.7

9.26.2006
Sunset Cruise!

Getting to the field after work was no problem a month ago. The sun would be shining until 8:00 p.m or so! As little as a month later, it's getting dark earlier. I had an hour of flight time, and used the first half to shoot landings, because we had an uncommon crosswind at the home field, and I needed the practice. As the sun began to set, the Western sky turned an amazing mix of blues, pinks, oranges and reds. It was so beautiful I just wanted to watch it for a while. So, I did. I tracked along PA Route 1 at about 1500, and just sat back and took it in. I had a smile plastered across my face for the rest of the night. Truly a memorable flying experience!
When I got back to the home field, the runway lights were on, but there was still some lingering light. A UH-60 Blackhawk from our local National Guard operation showed up and began doing the Helo version of Touch n' Go's. After a landing, I was holding short of the runway for one last circuit before calling it a day. I had a great view of the Blackhawk, callsign "Guard Copter" making his final approach to runway 24. As he got directly infront of me and flared the chopper to put the tail wheel on the ground, I looked up and noticed the occupant of the right seat. In full military flight suit, with the big black visor and helmet that obscures almost the entire face, the man in the right seat was smiling big and waving at me. I laughed and waved back. The freshly cut grass alongside the runway was being whipped up by the rotor blades as the Blackhawk touched down, and left a nice coat of fresh cut grass on the Tommy.
After watching guard Copter lift back off into the darkening sky, I made my call for closed pattern departure on 24, adding..."We dont see that here often..Thanks Guard Copter."

Solo 1.0
Hours towards goal 3.7




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home