Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Beating the Proverbial Dead Horse...

**Update**
It seems the aircraft was a Cessna 182-RG, with a landing gear problem. Pilot landed and walked away. The folks in the AOPA forum told me so. My point still stands.

I know that discussing the disgraceful and uneducated way in which the media covers and portrays aviation is akin to preaching to the choir when it comes to those who read this blog, but sometimes it annoys me so much, I have to pipe up.

A good example from today.

I'm at work, and I click on CNN.com before I go off on my lunch break. There is a headline, top of the main page, that reads:

"Aircraft Making Emergency Landing".

There was no attached article, only a link to a live video feed. Being that I am unable to access the streaming video at work, I went off to lunch knowing nothing of who, what, where, etc.

Returning from lunch, I go back to CNN.com for an update. Only to find,....nothing.
No article, no video, no mention that it ever happened. This means that (assuming it was a commercial airline) a large number of people did not die in flaming wreckage. Just that some Captain safely landed his ship, *perhaps* saving the lives of his passengers. No news there, according to CNN.

Of course, I'm sure it was a fairly mundane "emergency" that was no big deal for the crew, who are probably sitting around filling out paperwork without having broken into any description of a sweat. I'm glad they didn't make the news, because it means they are ok.

Off my soap box, rant over. Have a nice day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

Ahh my friend, you make the strong point that I have made about the media and their reporting-

We're dealing with folks that have an agenda.
Folks with an agenda will focus on those things that fit the theme of the agenda.....
stuff that doesn't fit the theme either gets under-reported, or ignored entirely.
Unfortunately, some have even lowered themselves to the point of lying to us.

We all desperately need to remember that when we watch our News gatherers.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home